Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Great Cupcake Disaster



This was not what I pictured when I started baking these red velvet cupcakes for our MOPS fundraiser tonight:



The tops were uneven, the bottoms were lightly scorched, the papers were unrecognizable (you should be able to see cute little hearts all over them), and all of the cupcakes shrank once they cooled. It wasn't pretty.



I removed the yucky papers and trimmed the cakes into better shape.



I cut them into layers, settled them into new papers, and gave them a little frosting-in-the-middle height enhancement.



A little pipe of frosting on top and a few sprinkles later, these look pretty good compared to their pre-makeover selves!


7 comments:

Tara said...

Wow! These are really cute. Very creative. But, they certainly don't look like a disaster. They look like you meant for them to turn out like that. I think they're a really cute version of cupcakes. The red velvet is so good with that frosting anyways. I bet they taste really good!

Liz said...

Those really did turn out cute. I LOVE red velvet cake!

Pam said...

So pretty! You DID make lemons into lemonade!

Bryssy said...

I ate one of those for dessert at church and thought it was great! So did THE Princess, she ate mine and I had to go get another. Very cute and way to make it work!

Rachel said...

Thanks! I was so discouraged when I took them out of the oven, but the end result was much better than I though it would be.

Donna said...

My little train cakes turned out the same way! Lumpy and shrunken when cooled. It must have been the difference in air temp and humidity. I've noticed the humidity greatly affects bread and pizza dough success, so it's probably the same for cakes.

I thought your little cupcakes were adorable!

Leslie said...

What a creative idea! They turned out great!